Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Scootin' on to Saratoga

Our first outing after moving a little south was to visit the Saratoga Battlefield, the turning point of the Revolutionary War.











After an afternoon of traipsing the paths of British and American soldiers, we found solace in some very nice buffet food--not quite the Golden Corral--at the Hall of Springs in the Saratoga Spa State Park where we also tasted fresh out of the ground spring water.


We were all dressed up so we decided to take in a little culture and thoroughly enjoyed the music of the Philadelphia Orchestra.



The orchestra performed on stage in an open air auditorium. Although we were under cover, there were people on blankets and lawn chairs behind us. The music was great, from The William Tell Overature to Bolero, and the rain storm just before the intermission added something to the ambiance.







Sunday it was off to the races at Saratogo Race Track, the oldest thoroughbred racetrack in the United States. We had reserved tables in the Paddock Tent (a good thing because the grandstand seats were all sold out!) where we again enjoyed a buffet lunch and spent the afternoon watching horses and people--a lot of people. Someone said they bring in somewhere around 30,000 people for a regular race.





I tried to get a picture of the action, but had to laugh at myself when I took a picture at the finish line but when I looked at the shot I missed the horses!

Anyhow, I had to take a picture of this guy because he was the winner--and so was I! Yea! I went home $32 dollars richer!

No comments: