Thursday, September 25, 2008

Rancho de las Golondrinas

Today we took a short trip into the Santa Fe countryside--low rolling hills covered sparsely with pinon trees and cottonwoods.


The road led to Rancho de las Golondrinas, a hacienda dating to the 1700s viewed today as a living working hacienda. We arrived as the bread was going into an outside oven.



The adobe structures held living quarters, chapels, kitchens, and barns. Everything was grown or made on the early hacienda. The ranch also took some time leaps and we saw what a ranch would have looked like in the 1800s. A very interesting, busy tour!

After a dinner of leftovers that we were all able to share, Shelly shared some information on Navajo rugs and turquoise jewelry. There is shopping to be done!

I wish I had had my camera for the later evening as we "all" did crafts. We gals made a beaded kerchief that will enhance any western outfit, but the guys were busy carving fetish charms out of soapstone. They were supposed to be bears, but the one I saw looked like something else--a snowman maybe, and Mitch went through two or three of the soapstones (he was trying to carve with a butcher knife instead of a file) and I'm not sure if any of them turned out! The guys will finish their project later!

Check out our Caravan blog at www.landofenchantmentii.blogspot.com!

No comments: